Directions: Answer the following questions on a separate document. Explain how you reached the answer or show your work if a mathematical calculation is needed, or both. Submit your assignment using the assignment link in the course shell. This homework assignment is worth 100 points.
Use the following information for questions 1 through 8:
The Goodman Industries’ and Landry Incorporated’s stock prices and dividends, along with the Market
Index, are shown below. Stock prices are reported for December 31 of each year, and dividends reflect those paid during the year. The market data are adjusted to include dividends.
Goodman Industries Landry Incorporated Market Index
Year Stock Price Dividend Stock Price Dividend Includes Dividends
2013 $25.88 $1.73 $73.13 $4.50 17.49 5.97
2012 22.13 1.59 78.45 4.35 13.17 8.55
2011 24.75 1.50 73.13 4.13 13.01 9.97
2010 16.13 1.43 85.88 3.75 9.65 1.05
2009 17.06 1.35 90.00 3.38 8.40 3.42
2008 11.44 1.28 83.63 3.00 7.05 8.96
1. Use the data given to calculate annual returns for Goodman, Landry, and the Market Index, and then calculate average annual returns for the two stocks and the index. (Hint: Remember, returns are calculated by subtracting the beginning price from the ending price to get the capital gain or loss, adding the dividend to the capital gain or loss, and then dividing the result by the beginning price. Assume that dividends are already included in the index. Also, you cannot calculate the rate of return for 2008 because you do not have 2007 data.)
2. Calculate the standard deviations of the returns for Goodman, Landry, and the Market Index. (Hint: Use the sample standard deviation formula given in the chapter, which corresponds to the STDEV function in Excel.)
3. Estimate Goodman’s and Landry’s betas as the slopes of regression lines with stock return on the vertical axis (y-axis) and market return on the horizontal axis (x-axis). (Hint: Use Excel’s SLOPE function.) Are these betas consistent with your graph?
4. The risk-free rate on long-term Treasury bonds is 6.04%. Assume that the market risk premium is 5%. What is the required return on the market using the SML equation?
5. If you formed a portfolio that consisted of 50% Goodman stock and 50% Landry stock, what would be its beta and its required return?
6. What dividends do you expect for Goodman Industries stock over the next 3 years if you expect you expect the dividend to grow at the rate of 5% per year for the next 3 years? In other words, calculate D1, D2, and D3. Note that D0 = $1.50.
7. Assume that Goodman Industries’ stock, currently trading at $27.05, has a required return of 13%. You will use this required return rate to discount dividends. Find the present value of the dividend stream; that is, calculate the PV of D1, D2, and D3, and then sum these PVs.
Use the following information for Question 9:
Suppose now that the Goodman Industries (1) trades at a current stock price of $30 with a (2) strike price of $35. Given the following additional information: (3) time to expiration is 4 months, (4) annualized risk-free rate is 5%, and (5) variance of stock return is 0.25.
9. What is the price for a call option using the Black-Scholes Model?
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
Platinum Essay has stood as the world’s leading custom essay writing services providers. Once you enter all the details in the order form under the place order button, the rest is up to us.
At Platinum Essay, we prioritize on all aspects that bring about a good grade such as impeccable grammar, proper structure, zero-plagiarism and conformance to guidelines. Our experienced team of writers will help you completed your essays and other assignments.
Admission and Business Papers
Be assured that you’ll definitely get accepted to the Master’s level program at any university once you enter all the details in the order form. We won’t leave you here; we will also help you secure a good position in your aspired workplace by creating an outstanding resume or portfolio once you place an order.
Editing and Proofreading
Our skilled editing and writing team will help you restructure you paper, paraphrase, correct grammar and replace plagiarized sections on your paper just on time. The service is geared toward eliminating any mistakes and rather enhancing better quality.
We have writers in almost all fields including the most technical fields. You don’t have to worry about the complexity of your paper. Simply enter as much details as possible in the place order section.